The Staff at A G Leech Kindergarten believe in early childhood education as an environment that nurtures children’s learning in their formative years through play. As Educators, we believe in high expectations for every child. By this, Staff endeavour to empower children to co-construct and initiate learning to develop their own sense of identity, strengthen their wellbeing, cultivate their engagement in learning and find their voice in the world around them. We believe every child’s right to feel safe, secure and supported is reflected through our core values of:
- Offering a Quality, Play based Early Childhood Education
- Collaborative Practice and Positive Relationships with Families and our Community
- Creating a Safe and Nurturing Environment
A G Leech Kindergarten’s program philosophy is underpinned by the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework, the Early Years Learning Framework and the National Quality Framework. Our program is child focused, drawing on the current ideas and experiences being brought out by each child in their play and what is happening around them. Educators are committed to encouraging children to persist when faced with challenges to foster developing their sense of autonomy, independence and wellbeing.We want children to feel recognised and respected for who they are and Staff value developing trusting relationships through engaging children in conversations and actively listening to extend ideas into future curriculum decisions.
Staff acknowledge the important role of each Parent as their child’s first caregiver and educator. Parents are supported in the shared decision making of their child’s development and encouraged to actively engage in this learning process at Kindergarten. A G Leech Kindergarten is boosted by the many different families that are a part of our service and we value contributions from parents such as sharing about their family heritage/culture, introducing key words in another language, coming in to cook with children or simply taking time to play during a session. Our Kindergarten has strong partnerships with the Preschool Field Worker, Speech Pathologists and other specialist services and values the networks established with local Kindergartens, Primary Schools, other Early Childhood services and community organisations. Staff understand that learning is a lifelong process and maintain their commitment to ongoing professional development.
Our building and outdoor area provides an environment that invites each child to explore and create, imagine and express their curiosity and reflect on why and how things happen. The safety of children and adults is paramount and this is reflected clearly in our Kindergarten policies and protocols. As large and smaller equipment are used throughout the Kinder program, Staff take responsibility for checking it remains in safe, working order and continue to utilise resources that cater for the varied abilities of each child.
Facilities and Services
- Children are encouraged to explore varied experiences and play spaces in our indoor environment. The aesthetics of the indoor space use the natural light through the large windows that span the room.
- We value the natural environment. Our spacious outdoor area incorporates a dry river bed, sensory garden and pathways, established garden beds and planter boxes. A lofty oak tree has pride of place in our yard having been planted when the Kindergarten was first built over 40 years ago.
- The outdoor space features a stage area with surrounding seating, established bike track, sandpit with decking area and attached Balinese hut.
Open Day 2019
Friday, 24th May, 2019
1.00pm - 4.00pm